March 11, 2013

Week 11 / Family time_LA

This week, my parents are in town on their first visit to see me since I moved out here in November.  We will spend lots of time exploring the city and trying to give them a taste of how we spend our time and give them a taste of the places we go to on a regular basis.  As soon as I knew I was moving to LA, I realised I had taken my time in London a bit for granted. I had a bucket list of places I wanted to visit:  the Tower of London, the V&A museum, the Natural History Museum and Buckingham Palace, to mention a few.  Some of these places are typically more tourist destinations and I generally would have avoided them at all costs come weekend.  But as my time living as a 'Londoner' began to run out, I started to try and cram in as much sight-seeing as I possibly could.  I'd arrange dinners at restaurants I'd been meaning to try and I used my weekends to visit new galleries or museums or revisiting some of the places I'd come to love so much over the years.  It soon became apparent it just wasn't possible to do everything before leaving.  I don't have any regrets about the things I didn't get chance to do whist living there.  London will in fact always be there... and no, I am not still upset about not getting the chance to take an open top bus tour around the city... honest! :)  

I will say this though, as much as the idea of parading the Walk of Fame does not appeal to me, nor does taking a tour of the 'star's homes', but if there is one thing I have learnt since leaving London it is to embrace what is at your doorstep.  Even just for one day.  What point of interest is at your doorstep?  When was the last time you took a day out to visit something new or allowed yourself to get lost amidst the 'tourist trap'? It's not quite as bad as you might think and who knows what you might discover on the way.

First stop this week... Solvang and Santa Barbara. 



Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips